Wednesday, May 18, 2011

The Magical "Moving Guitar"

The magic of the "Moving Guitar" revealed itself yet again this week: I had another kiddo start walking during music therapy.

What is the "Moving Guitar?"  The "Moving Guitar" is a trick I discovered a few years back.  At the end of class, students have a turn to strum my guitar using the giant pick during the goodbye song.  I have many students that are very motivated by and look forward to playing the guitar.  I've found that if I hand the student the pick and then slowly back up on my rolling stool so that I am just out of reach, they will take a step or two to reach me and the guitar.  I utilize this technique when students are really close to walking independently, but just need that extra motivation to let go.

After months of coaxing a "step or two", on Tuesday those couple steps became eight.  And then another fourteen.  And then my student spent a good portion of the rest of the afternoon independently walking up and down the school hallway.  And me?  I've been on Cloud 9 ever since!

No comments:

Post a Comment