Thursday, May 19, 2011

Follow-up to "The Magical 'Moving Guitar'"


Today, for the first time, that same student stood independently from his/her chair in order to get to the tone chimes.  The teacher and I both did instant happy dances! 
Music therapy: using music as the means to accomplish non-musical goals. 

THIS is why I'm a music therapist.  Even though I don't have children of my own, I know the thrill and excitement of achieving 'firsts'.  Those 'firsts' seem even more exciting when they're delayed.  Or when an individual achieves something the "experts" said they never would.  Everyday I get to witness children, adolescents, and young adults exceeding expectations.  I feel so incredibly blessed to be able to use my musical gifts to elicit positive changes for others and to have the priviledge to work with such amazing people - students, staff, parents, administrators - everyday.  Thank you all for allowing me the honor to provide Creative Opportunities to Develop so many extraordinary Abilities!  

No comments:

Post a Comment